People can experience aching feet at any time of day, but there are certain issues that are likely the reason why your feet ache when you first wake up. Medical professionals can help you determine the source of your pain.
Foot pain is a far more common thing than you may realize. One study reports that 77% of Americans said they had experienced foot pain at some point. Physical therapists are one type of medical professional that can help you figure out why your feet ache when you first wake up. These specialists can help you find effective ways to treat your foot pain, too.
Three issues that can be the reason why your feet ache when you wake up
The human musculoskeletal system includes bones, fascia, ligaments and tendons. All these structures are found in your feet. A physical therapist can help you determine the cause of your foot pain because they’re trained to treat the human musculoskeletal system. Some of the issues that could be why your feet ache when you wake up include:
- Plantar fasciitis — The plantar fascia is a weblike band of tissue that runs along the bottom of your foot. Plantar fasciitis occurs when this structure becomes inflamed or torn. Stabbing pains in your foot during your first few steps in the morning is a common symptom of plantar fasciitis. Typically, the pain occurs near the heel. It may also decrease after moving around for a few minutes.
- Arthritis — There are several joints in the feet that can develop osteoarthritis. Often, this occurs when cartilage in the joint is damaged or worn away over time. Arthritic joints tend to stiffen up when you don’t move for a while, such as when you’re sleeping. This means that your affected joints may be stiffer and more painful in the morning.
- Poorly fitting shoes — Many people wear shoes that don’t fit them properly. One study reveals that up to 72% of the people surveyed were wearing incorrectly fitted shoes. This problem can lead to many others. For instance, it can increase tension on soft tissue, such as the plantar fascia. It can put more stress on foot joints as well.
How can physical therapists help treat your foot pain in the morning?
Now that you know a few reasons why your feet may be aching when you wake up, you may need help treating your pain. That’s where physical therapy comes in. A physical therapist can bring many therapy techniques to bear on your foot condition and symptoms. A few of these techniques are:
- Active Release Techniques® intended to reduce tension in foot soft tissue.
- Graston Technique® sessions that focus on breaking up areas of scar tissue in your feet and ankles.
- Shoe and orthotic recommendations designed to help you find properly fitted shoes and prevent future foot problems.
- Therapeutic exercises that can stretch and strengthen your feet, ankles and legs.
Arrow PTR can help you learn why your feet ache when you wake up
Ready to learn exactly why your feet ache when you first wake up in the morning? Our team at Arrow Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation can help you learn the source of your pain. We can do a free screening of your feet that’s designed to pinpoint the cause of your pain. In addition, our physical therapists can create a personalized therapy plan for you that’s designed to:
- Decrease morning and overall foot pain.
- Improve foot strength, mobility and flexibility.
- Increase your ability to walk.
- Reduce your risk of future foot issues.
Contact our team today for more information about our treatment options for foot pain or to schedule an initial appointment.