One reason why it may hurt to straighten your arm is that you have tendinitis. The elbow joint contains several tendons that attach various muscles to the bones of the joint. A physical therapist can help you learn which of your elbow tendons is causing your pain. They can help you find effective treatment for your elbow pain as well.
These three conditions could be why it hurts to straighten your arm
Figuring out why it hurts to straighten your arm requires an intimate knowledge of the human musculoskeletal system. Fortunately, physical therapists have this knowledge. It allows them to pinpoint issues that commonly trigger pain when you move your arm and elbow. Some conditions that could be causing your arm and elbow pain are:
- Tennis elbow — The lateral epicondyle tendon attaches some of the forearm muscles to your elbow. Irritation or inflammation of this tendon is called lateral epicondylitis. It’s also commonly called tennis elbow. The most common symptom of this issue is pain on the outside of the elbow when moving your arm.
- Golfer’s elbow — Another elbow tendon that often develops tendinitis is the medial epicondyle tendon. When this tendon develops tendinitis, it’s called golfer’s elbow or medial epicondylitis. This issue tends to cause pain on the inside of the elbow when it’s bent.
- Biceps tendinitis — The distal biceps tendon attaches the biceps to the elbow. Inflammation of this tendon is known as distal biceps tendinitis. This issue causes pain on the inside of the elbow when you move your arm. The pain is typically felt in the crease where your elbow bends.
What can physical therapy do to help your elbow pain?
After determining why it hurts to straighten your arm, physical therapists have many techniques they can use to treat your pain. A few of the most commonly used therapy techniques include:
- Graston Technique® sessions that can break up scar tissue from old biceps or forearm muscle injuries.
- Sport-specific therapy intended to improve your arm form when playing golf, racket sports or throwing sports.
- Active Release Techniques® designed to reduce tension in the muscles around the elbow and improve joint mobility.
- Cupping therapy that focuses on improving blood flow to your injured tendons.
Find out why your arm hurts when you straighten it at Arrow PTR
Keen to learn why your arm hurts when you straighten it? At Arrow Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation, our team is primed to help you determine the cause of your elbow and arm pain. We can do a free screening on your arm to reveal the direct and underlying causes of your pain. Furthermore, our specialists excel at building individualized therapy plans designed to reduce pain and improve joint mobility. We can even help you treat your pain from home thanks to our virtual therapy and at-home care services.
Contact our team today for more information about our elbow and arm pain treatment options or to schedule your initial appointment.