Are you an athlete looking for ways to boost physical performance? Our physical therapists can offer suggestions and services that can help you. One key performance component you need to understand is nutrition.
Your body is depending on you to supply it with the necessary raw materials to conduct its countless everyday functions. The more you demand from it, the more careful you must be about your nutritional strategies. Read on to learn more about nutrients you need for stronger physical performance, and then reach out to a physical therapist for assistance in achieving your performance goals.
These five nutrients are vital to stronger physical performance
Every person must eat food daily to provide their body with required nutrients. This is especially important for athletes because they place such high demands on their bodies. Typically, athletes must eat more than a normal person. In fact, studies report that many athletes need to eat between 2,200 and 3,000 calories per day.
However, athletes shouldn’t be eating just anything. There are five nutrients in particular that can help them achieve stronger physical performance. These nutrients are:
1. Carbohydrates — Carbs are directly involved in providing the body with energy. The body uses carbs first, since they burn most readily. This makes them an important fuel for both short-burst activities and endurance training.
2. Proteins — This macronutrient takes at least 10,000 forms in the human body alone. Proteins are made up of 20 essential amino acids, and they’re important to athletes because they’re the building blocks of muscles. Your body gets these amino acids from the foods you eat.
3. Fats — Fat has a negative reputation, but some types of fats are important for athletes. They’re stored as a reserve fuel supply, but this nutrient is also involved in brain health. Fats also can also help with inflammation management, hormone production and joint lubrication.
4. Minerals — There are many vitamins and minerals that can boost athletic performance. One important mineral is iron because it’s a key component of blood cells that transport oxygen to your muscles. Other important minerals include:
5. Vitamins — Among the vitamins, athletes flock to B-complex vitamins because of their ability to increase energy availability. But you also need a mix of vitamins A, C, E, K and others to keep your body functioning.
Arrow Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation offers many services that can make your physical performance stronger
Are you looking for more ways to get stronger physical performance? Our Arrow Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation team is ready to help you boost your athletic performance. We offer free screenings that can pinpoint issues like muscle imbalances that are holding you back. Our physical therapists can also create an individualized therapy plan for you that’s intended to address such issues and reduce your risk of injury.
Unable to find time to come into one of our clinics? Don’t worry! Our team offers therapy services that can save you from driving to us, including at-home care and virtual therapy appointments. We can even get you started with your physical therapy if you don’t have a doctor’s referral.
Contact our team today for more information about how we can help you or to schedule your initial appointment.